Saturday, July 17, 2010

Blogging The Hunget Games: Part 2 (B)

I know that, for the most part, I like to kid around. I'm the girl who makes a (crappy) joke when she has just fallen out of a tree and broken her arm. And I won't disappoint! I will deliver badly timed, wanna-be comedy, in about 3 1/2 minutes. But before we get to it....

These chapters brought up some interesting questions about love and sacrifice. Katniss' plight in this book really makes you think. She will gladly give up her life in exchange for her sister Prim's. But what about the rest of the stuff she has to do?

If someone asked you, "Would you die for your little sister?" what would you say? Being an older sister myself, I would say, "That's a stupid question. So how do you wanna do this? Should I close my eyes or what? Also, can you tell Alice that if I'm gonna die for her, I request that "A Pocket Full of Sunshine" by Natasha Beddingfield be played at my funeral? You know, for irony's sake!"

But what if someone said, "Would you kill innocent people for your little sister?"

I'm not exactly saying no, but I would definitely hesitate. Where's the line? At what point is the sacrifice for someone you love too great? At one person? Two? Ten? I would literally walk through hell itself for my sister. But what about someone else's little sister? Somewhere out there, there is a girl who loves her little sister as much as I love mine. Would I be willing to kill the object of someone else's love to keep mine intact? And say that my answer to that last question was yes. How many people's little sisters would I be willing to harm before it was too much?

When does Alice's life stop being the most important thing to consider? Does that point even exist?

In our society -well all of them really- we place a great deal of importance on the individual versus the whole. Each life is not equal. The worth of a life is in the eye of the beholder.

So how many lives is your loved one worth?

3 comments:

  1. Danggggg Ells. This is deep stuff. (:
    I've always wanted a little sister. I have a brother.. but it's just not the same. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right!? I've become a well of emotion.
    Ha, yeah right. I just over think all the books I read. But that quality does enable me to make something out of nothing. I Could probably write a term paper on The Little Mermaid, were I so inclined lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! That was deep. Not like 8 foot swimming pool...like middle of the ocean deep. At the same time I'm touched.

    ReplyDelete